Thursday, March 02, 2006

People-watching (response to comment on sheraton post that got too long)

As for people-watching, all the interviewees look the same, clearly dressed a level above what they're comfortable in (plus one or two trying to be different -- today there was a guy in bright blue pants). The interviewers are older and in older clothes, many with strange hair. Some clearly work at rural boarding schools and don't get out much to "society" or "culture" or "the barbershop."

Oh, the other thing I did a lot of was listen to the conversations of people at my tables in the "candidates' lounge" (a ballroom with 8-people tables and lots of competitive b.s.). The worst are those people who meet someone they know, and then are attached at the hip (imagine Colby accent "Should we make this table home base?" "I'm going to the loo, can you watch my stuff?" [yes, she said 'loo' - that was followed by "Oh, how cute, 'loo'" and "I know, right? But even though I live in London now I totally said 'loo' since I was, like, six."] and, most often: "Omigod, It's, like, so great to know someone here. If I was here alone, I'd definitely stab a pen into my eye just to be done with my horrible existence.")


I first thought those things were being said a foot away from me because I had my ipod on. But no, same crap when I'm sitting there sans pod.

I went out into the mall for a bit to get away, but the mall was full of them, too. Plus, lots of suits. I really don't like people in suits. I mean, I don't mind wearing one. But large spaces full of suits freaks me out a bit.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rainster said...

And the people you're watching are all applying for job where they get to mold young minds... I fear for our future.

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home