Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Picture a graph

The amount of things I have worth posting here could be represented as an ascending line matched up with a descending line representing the amount of time I have to post things.

Not that short version: all day at a job fair. It was the first day, most schools not there yet, so I was posting notes to schools hoping they had English jobs. (It'd be too hard, apparently, for the agency I work through to provide a LIST of openings.) There are supposedly 400 schools at this thing. I wrote notes to 90. The same damn sentence over and over again: "If you anticipate an opening in English, I'd love to speak with you." sometimes I mixed it up with "If you expect an opening" or "If you anticipate an English opening" ... Fortunately, it was in a sweet hotel, the Sheraton attached to the Pru, with free internet access, lots of restaurants, an attached mall, etc., not that I could leave the conference area much, as I was supposed to check for messages back from schools every 30 minutes. (I'd also hate to have, say, 30 schools give response notes without me grabbing them, so the 30th person sees 29 notes in my little mail-slot-sleeve thing.)

But I left an hour before the official end because I ran out of school to write to, where I am willing to work. (The list kept expanding as I tried to get to 100.) I'll go back in tomorrow morning and hopefully I will have lots of notes back, but not so much that my little sleeve thing is packed and people said, "Screw that, this guy has enough rejection slips, I don't need to put my lucrative job offer in there."

For all those notes I submitted, I got about 5 back, all saying they didn't have English openings. One of the ones I got back was from a school I didn't leave a note for. I thought that was strange. Albany Academy. The thing is, they leave notes back to us on the same slips we give them, so the person had to use a whole new note. I don't get it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Xtina said...

Albany Academy got your name from that myspace girl.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Torgo said...

Whoa, nice obscure reference.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home