Monday, February 27, 2006

Dream sock theory

I clearly have too much free time. But if I'm to use that time for good, then I need to share this:

Over the last couple of weeks, I've discovered that sleeping with or without socks significantly affects how crazy and messed up my dreams are. First, though, a bit of background: in college, I sometimes tried to have crazy dreams by eating pepperoni pizza or ramen right before going to sleep. Ok, I was hungry, and such things were available at 1 a.m., and I never got into recreational drugs, so this was what I did. Anyway, it seemed to work. Then, for as long as I remember, I never slept while wearing socks. But now we live in an apartment with wood floors, and it's just damn cold sometimes, particularly for those of us who sleep closer to the windows.

Then one day a couple of weeks ago, I didn't wear socks to sleep (I seem to remember my socks getting soaked by a certain baby in the bath), and I had the crazy messed up dreams. It was kind of fun, which may speak to the easy, sheltered life I've lived, so I decided to experiment.

Today I proudly announce the conclusive results. If you're me, and you sleep without socks, you'll have crazier dreams. (Maybe I should sent a note to Scientific American.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Xtina said...

how long did you conduct this experiment? the evidence seems sketchy.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Torgo said...

It's been a couple of weeks. I should make a chart. Or a PowerPoint.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Rainster said...

I think the chart would lend validity to your methodology.

Do you have variables? Have you tried different kinds of socks? Different colors?

Every time I've ever work socks to bed, I've lost one of them. I kick it off somehow. It's always only one, and it takes days to find it, usually somewhere on the floor.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Torgo said...

The floor is the first place I'd look. Or the ceiling. But if it's on the ceiling then maybe you got up on the wrong side of the bed and you're actually on the ceiling.

Did you ever see that Lionel Richie video where he walks up the walls? Ok, I need a job.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure that wasn't Fred Astaire?

3:26 PM  
Blogger Rainster said...

There IS a Fred Astaire movie where he dances on the walls!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Xtina said...

ok, last night? slept without socks.
no dreams.
what do you say to that, mr. wizard?


oh wait, part of it is that the text subject has to be you, isn't it...crap, i thought i had you.

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home