Friday, February 24, 2006

I would've hated me in college

I was digging through some old archives of stuff I wrote in college. I had a weekly opinions column in the main rag for about 2 and a half years. Then, senior year, we started up a short-lived left-wing activist newspaper and I wrote regularly for that. For that second paper, most of my articles can be summed up by the title "The world is going to hell, learn about it." But for that first paper, I apparently decided to be the world's biggest jerk-off. In every article I skimmed (I couldn't bring myself to read any start to finish), I was saying how awful the administration of the school was, how terrible the students were, and how pissed off I was about the whole thing.

Reading it now, I don't really recognize myself. I remember writing that stuff, and I remember that, particularly by senior year, when I was fairly happy and content, I had to listen to Nine Inch Nails and other angry music to psyche myself up to write that garbage. I'm not sure why I kept it up.

I first got into journalism in high school, wanting to be a humor columnist or an arts critic. Then, somewhere around sophomore year of college, I got really angry. I'm just glad that's over now.

But then, looking at the other stuff in the old newspapers, remembering the obnoxious people I went to college with (before discovering a large contingent of relatively grounded people senior year), it starts coming back to me. They were mostly blonde-haired, blue-eyed, rich, Northface-wearing, Nalgene-bottle carrying, ski and/or get sloshed every weekend, live oblivious to the world type people. I better stop thinking about it before I turn into a raving jerk-off again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Xtina said...

hmmmm...i remember those articles. i think i recall sticking up for you a number of times. i also recall coming home and having yelling matches about white privilege with my father. i think we all have tendencies to be jerks in college.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Rainster said...

Well if you'd TALKED to your Folk Music Director more ... just kidding. She was actually a pretty angry person too.

I think since colleges are places where you encounter a bunch of (theoretically) new ideas, and you're all trying to figure out who you are away from your parents and hometown, you end up being either a total extremist or completely apathetic.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Torgo said...

Yeah, I definitely went to extremes, and not in the Billy Joel "I love Christie Brinkley so I go to extremes" kind of way. More of the "I'm here to piss you off" way. But then on my radio show I was all nice and dorky. But nobody listened to that...

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home