Saturday, March 04, 2006

In the sun

A week or so ago, I heard the new Michael Stipe version of the song "In the Sun" on the radio. The R.E.M. singer recorded the song as a benefit for Katrina victims. It's available on itunes and was first heard, I believe, on an episode of "Grey's Anatomy."

I first heard this song on a tribute to Princess Diana, performed by Peter Gabriel. That version is great. For a long time, I thought that was the original version. In the movie "Saved," there's another version, and I thought that was some guy covering Peter Gabriel. Then I found out that was Joseph Arthur, the guy who actually wrote it. His version is very good, too.

The funny thing is, I remember the Joseph Arthur version appearing on an episode of "Scrubs," which is basically "Grey's Anatomy" but funnier (they even noted this on a recent "Scrubs" when one character said, "Can't we just go home and watch 'Grey's Anatomy'?" and the other said "It's like they're just watching our lives.")

Anyway, my point is this: it's a great song that keeps popping up everywhere, several years after it was first made and then covered and I heard it. So I guess I deserve credit for it or royalties. No, wait, that's not my point. My original thought was that Michael Stipe, whom I normally like, went and changed the vocal arrangement and his version is lousy. Meanwhile, a great Peter Gabriel version was lost on a Di tribute (as though she needed a tribute) alongside stuff like the Spice Girls and possibly Meat Loaf. And Michael Stipe's version is now widely downloaded (included the itunes' mandated 15 variations which include a duet with Joseph Arthur and possibly a version featuring the Black-Eyed Peas, a group I was sick of before I heard any of their music -- they just remind me of a commercial for a product I don't want or need).

So if you've just heard the Michael Stipe version, go watch "Scrubs." Or see "Saved." Or find the Peter Gabriel version without actually investing in the Di tribute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home