Wednesday, March 14, 2007

It all comes back to the Monkees

So it turns out Brad Delp committed suicide. He was the lead singer of Boston. I never liked Boston. In fact, I actively disliked "More than a feeling."

Then I read that he sang in the Beatles tribute band called "Beatlejuice," which was based in Somerville, MA. I've seen this band. In 2001, the Monkees gave a free concert on the Esplanade, and Beatlejuice opened.

Cover bands occupy a strange, sad place in pop music. You need to be a competent musician, but not inherently talented or creative. No one really likes you, they just like the people you imitate.

The Monkees fall somewhere between a cover band and and actual band. They played some of their own songs, but the majority of their stuff was factory-produced. That 2001 concert was the second time I'd seen them. In 1987, I saw them in Milwaukee with "Weird Al" Yankovic opening. That was the first concert I'd been to. It was loud.

Sadly, some of the on-stage schtick by Davy Jones didn't change between 1987 and 2001.

Mike Nesmith, my favorite Monkee, wasn't at either concert. I don't think it's that he invested his money wisely. In fact, I don't think he did, not with his Monkees' money. But he made good choices afterwards, and his mom invented liquid paper, so he inherited that fortune.

It seems odd that of all the big-selling 60's groups, the Monkees are one of the only ones with all members still alive.

1 Comments:

Blogger Xtina said...

was that the monkees concert i went to? i saw them in 1996 too. mike nesmith was at that one.

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home