Friday, March 09, 2007

Old man's shameless playlist

So I'm getting old and decided to check my iTunes for the most played songs. This is my work computer, which has 2873 songs at the moment, far fewer than the home computer, and not the one we use with the iPod, and I leave it on shuffle a lot, so this is in no way representative of anything definitive. I was just curious.

1) Black Tambourine - Beck -- from Guero, an awesome album. Not the best song on there. But a good one.

2) Marker in the Sand - Pearl Jam -- from their newest. One of the first albums on the computer, hence the high play count. This is one of the best on the album. I sought this track out often.

3) Caramel - Suzanne Vega -- I've written before about my love for Ms. Vega. This is from Nine Objects of Desire, a great album from the Mitchell Froom era.

4) Be My Love - Cracker -- One of their best, I think. I like Big Dipper more. That's an amazing song. But this one's great.

5) 3 Speed - Eels -- I loved this song in college, but couldn't play it on the radio b/c of the f-word. I'm not sure why it's so high now, but I like it.

6) I Remember California - R.E.M. -- "Scrubs" last night, which is a show that's definitely getting tired, used R.E.M.'s Half a World Away, another awesome late-album track. Late on side 2, from the cassette days.

7) Strange Apparition - Beck -- from The Information. Not the best song, again, on the album, but a good one.

8) Giving Him Something He Can Feel - En Vogue -- This was originally from a movie that M-N likes, then En Vogue did the video based on that movie. I love this song. I'd forgotten about it for years, then rediscovered it when that movie was on tv.

9) Criminal - Fiona Apple -- Not my favorite Fiona Apple song. But I like most of her stuff.

10) Aurora - Foo Fighters -- Really? I don't remember hearing this that much. That's weird.

So the songs don't always make sense, but most of the artists do. I spend more time listening to Beck, Suzanne Vega, Pearl Jam, R.E.M., Cracker and Fiona Apple than just about anyone else these days. Weezer is up there, too. They had a few songs just not make the top 10.

Ok, that's enough of this.

5 Comments:

Blogger Xtina said...

i think i've only heard two songs from your list, 8 & 9.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Rainster said...

I've only heard of 7 of the artists, and none of the songs.

Back to my techno, cheesy pop, and folk protest music...

10:07 AM  
Blogger Torgo said...

C'mon people, get with it. Don't make me send mix cds. I haven't done that in years. Rainster, didn't I send you a Neil Young mix? Like 6 years ago? That may have been the last gift-mix I made.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Xtina said...

i have a CD with the eels on it from you, but not that particular song, and a couple tapes with pearl jam, suzanne vega and beck on them. so you've sort of done your work well.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Rainster said...

Yeah, but the Neil Young mix tape was before the ones we got at your wedding.

Speaking of the CDs we got at your wedding... mine has Suzanne Vega's "Luka," which is a good but sad song, most appropriate for non-public listening. I got through a few lines singing it at a crowded karaoke bar once, and realized that though the melody is beautiful, it's a real downer.

Seriously, if it's not folk protest music or techno or cheesy pop or ye olden ballads, my musical exposure comes from the people I hang out with.

So now my music collection includes stuff like the White Stripes, the Smiths, Neko Case, Goldfrapp, the Dresden Dolls, the Postal Service, New Order, the Killers, Le Tigre, and the Violent Femmes. None of these are artists I would have found on my own.

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home