Monday, February 26, 2007

Awards for movies I haven't seen

The best thing about the Oscars, far and away, is that they began at 5:30 p.m. God bless the left coast.

Other than that, I thought Ellen Degeneres was funny. I've always liked her stand-up. Good for Al Gore, too, showing his sense of humor.

I felt like I'd seen the Will Ferrell/Jack Black/John Reilly skit before. I mean, it was amusing, but, eh.

I think 2006 may have been the first year since 1982 that I didn't see a movie in the theaters. Is that possible? Maybe. In '83 I saw Return of the Jedi. M-N managed to see Little Miss Sunshine, The Queen, Notes on a Scandal, all with her mom's group. I saw several episodes of NCIS, which is like CSI but spelled incorrectly.

I was happy to see Alan Arkin win. He's been great in movies I've seen (like Glengarry Glenross and So I Married an Axe Murderer). He's also a Bennington alum, like me.

I was happy for Forest Whitaker, too. He seems like such a nice guy. I've liked him in a bunch of movies, too. Except he continued to prove the point about black actors only winning for playing bad guys. M-N pointed this out.

Denzel Washington, for example, almost always plays the moral center of every movie he's in. But he got an Oscar for Training Day and Glory. He was, eventually, the hero of Glory, but for a long time he was the renegade.

I said, what about Jamie Foxx? She pointed out that Ray Charles was an addict/adulterer/womanizer.

Halle Berry? M-N (who apparently sees a lot of movies w/o me) said Monster's Ball wasn't exactly Catwoman.

The American Idol girl won, though, so that's good. I bet that pissed off Peter O'Toole.

4 Comments:

Blogger Xtina said...

so does jennifer hudson continue the trend? she's not supposed to be bad, only strong willed, stubborn, and (rightfully) self-confident. anyway, i love her.

also, what about cuba gooding jr (jerry maguire)?

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Jennifer Hudson is an exception. I also pointed out Cuba Gooding Jr. I think he's an exception, too.

Oh, and I remembered that I saw The Break Up in the theaters (in the middle of Nevada), so I didn't go w/o seeing a movie in the theaters in 2006. I would've been better off having not seen that movie, but oh well.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Xtina said...

that movie was really dumb. what about harry potter and the goblet of fire? was that 2006?

11:19 AM  
Blogger Rainster said...

I only saw An Inconvenient Truth, The Lives of Others, and Pan's Labrynth in theatres. I rented Little Miss Sunshine. So I was rooting for those movies (and anyone affiliated with them) above anything else.

The Jon Stewart recap of the Oscars was funny.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home