Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I watched the Grammys


And it was ok.

I used to get emotionally involved in the Grammys, back when artists I loved were up for awards. But now, the albums I love don't get nominated (like Pearl Jam and Beck's new albums), so I can just watch the show.

I'm glad Mary J Blige won. She's easy to root for. She's also amazing. I'm also glad the Dixie Chicks won. I don't like their music, but I like their message, and it's nice to see them get acknowledged after country radio turned on them.

I actually really enjoyed the show. I thought the Police were decent, especially considering they were at their peak 25 years ago. It was fun to see Lionel Richie and Smokey Robinson sing their old hits.

Gnarls Barkley's slowed-down "Crazy" was ok, not great, but ok. The Eagles tribute got old quickly. I mean, they're not dead! If you want to showcase them, bring them on the show. Don Henley was there! And Ludacris, who I'm growing to like as an actor and respect more as a musician, did his little 'message' song that was earnest and well-intentioned, but had the rhymes of a 7th grade poetry class. It's a good thing Mary J helped him.

Speaking of people with multiple performances, what's the deal with Justin Timberlake? He gets to do a mock American Idol? And perform twice? The Idol rip-off was a bad idea. It also highlighted a drawback of being on the left coast. We couldn't vote. I wouldn't have, but still, it's the principle.

I waited up for the Chili Peppers, the only rock act, only to be disappointed. They always sound off live.

But it was nice to see a thin Al Gore. Apparently, a thin Al Gore means he may run for president. Good for Al. I'd vote for him again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home