Friday, May 12, 2006

Reading lists

The NY Times has an article about the 25 best American fiction works of the last 25 years. Of all the books, I've only read Beloved and 1 1/2 Philip Roth books.

But what a boring list. Roth, McCormac, DeLillo, Updike... over and over again. Maybe I should read some of those (except Roth, I don't care for Roth), but it seems terribly provincial. Granted, Harold Bloom was a judge. But there were also much better judges, people with interesting ideas and stodginess not quite so ingrained in the very essence of their beings.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rainster said...

I read the first couple chapters of Confederacy of Dunces, and I once checked out The Things They Carried. Other than that, I'm 0 for 25! Woo hoo!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Xtina said...

Beloved, and pieces of The Things They Carried...seriously though, i thought as an english major most of the titles would have at least seemed familiar...but no.

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, list. dumb list. what a jerk.

congrats on the job dude!

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh that was me, blake. xox

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home