Friday, May 12, 2006

How'd I end up here?

I went to a job interview yesterday in scenic Westchester County, outside NYC. It was fairly last minute, and I went via the train. So I figured, train to the town, train back home. But then, there wasn't a convenient train home so they put me on a train from the town to Grand Central Station, then I had to go over to Penn Station, then take a train home from there.

The result of this was that I found myself unexpectedly here:

walking through the middle of Manhattan at 5 p.m. on a Thursday amidst the throngs of people, remembering why I dislike NYC so much (it's dirty and unpleasant and overcrowded and just generally sad, in my opinion).

I did walk by the big library with the stone lions which always reminds me of Ghostbusters and is cool for that.

I also had a struggle getting out of Grand Central Station to a surface-level sidewalk, but when I eventually just followed a stream of people, I got put out just where I wanted to be, which was nice.

Then, on my way to Penn Station, I needed to pick up some dinner. I kept passing McDonald's and Burger King, but I wanted something unique to NY. I love the giant pastrami sandwiches you can get in NY delis, so that was what I was looking for. But I mostly saw chain fast food and pizza places.

When I got to Penn Station, I figured I'd walk around the outside, but the only cool-looking non-major chain I saw had Seattle in its name. So I went inside the station, found a deli, and got my pastrami. But it was miniscule. The bread was smaller than the palm of my hand and they didn't stack the pastrami much more than an inch.

So I ended up getting a $4 hot dog on the train. That, incidentally, was microwaved and a bit soggy, but gigantic.

The other point about the trip was this: If you ever have an opportunity to vote on whether cell phones should be allowed on airplanes, take a train trip and then decide. People on trains use cell phones (except in the quiet car), and it's awful. At one point on the trip down, I had a woman in front of me discussing her career change, someone across and up a seat ordering theater tickets indecisively, and a person across from me trying to get a dinner date.

Fortunately, I had some tunes.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This account was fun to read! Mmmmm.... hot dog. Unlike NYC, Chicago is neither overcrowded or depressing - our wide streets and bright skies can cheer even the lowliest job seeker. In fact, my high school is expanding enrollment and actively searching for English and/or Writing teachers... If only I knew a suitable candidate!

JK in Chicago

6:58 AM  
Blogger Torgo said...

Ok, I'll give you wide streets and bright skies. But I've been in Chicago in winter, and I'd rather have a gaggle of New Yorkers to huddle with for warmth.

NY also has some large rats and pigeons we could burn for fuel or send for help from warmer climates. We should probably burn the rats and send the pigeons, though, because rats are shifty and pigeons don't burn well.

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silly Torgo - what do you think goes into those "hot dogs" you enjoy so much? Dogs?

JK

10:37 AM  
Blogger Rainster said...

Bahahaha, that cracked me up!

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home