Monday, May 08, 2006

Luck o' the Torgo

I've been hesitant about posting too much about my job search on this blog (though that hasn't stopped me). I'm perpetually nervous that posting something about a positive interview will jinx my chances for the job. Likewise, posting something negative about a place that might have wanted to offer me a job could work against me.

There's not much rational thought behind this. So I say screw it.

It turns out I married a Buddhist. If she can find inner peace, then maybe I can, too.

I just got off the phone with someone who thinks I may be overqualified for a position I interviewed for on Friday. I'm still in contention for that job, but now I'm also in contention for two higher positions with the same company.

After months of being too inexperienced, this was startling to hear. And nice. I wasn't really too inexperienced for those other jobs. They just got both my and M-N's resumes together, and they saw her five years of teaching history, English and theater at both boarding and day schools, single sex and coed, prestigious and backwoods Maine (and just maybe her skin color), and they thought they could lure her into jobs she didn't want. Then, when she rejected them, they gave me the kiss-off.

That's fine. She doesn't need to be the token black woman at any school anymore, overworked and shat upon. I'm gonna get a job.

2 Comments:

Blogger Xtina said...

what kind of position is it?

11:29 AM  
Blogger Torgo said...

It's a full time gig with the tutoring people I work for now. I like tutoring for them. They're small and kind of the anti-Kaplan/Princeton Review/Sylvan.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home