Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Cape Ann and Fried Clams

I spent the day in Cape Ann yesterday for a training session. I got there early enough to walk to the beach, meet a dog, and walk back.

I was technically in Essex (pronounced "Ess-ex"), or Gloucester (not pronounced "Glow-chest-er," by the way). Or Cape Ann (pronounced "Cah-pay Dee-um"). Either way, it was near the ocean. It was also near the fried clam stand where the fried clam was invented. I'm not sure how the clam community feels about this. Probably not too good.

But despite my fondness for all things battered and fried, I stay away from fried clams. I eat many gross things, and this is completely a double standard, but I think clams are icky.

Fried clams weren't really the focus of the day, actually. Just one conversation with a local. I also had a conversation with a woman who's brother went to my college and lived across the hall from me one year and, another year, was involved in an awful incident where a lacrosse player (and, yes, at the school a lacrosse player is proudly reduced to being known just as a lacrosse player) broke into his room and beat the crap out of him.

Fortunately, I learned he's doing well now, studying to work with deaf students and teach math. This made me wonder what the lacrosse player is doing now. I'm pretty sure he's not playing lacrosse professionally. Also, as he got off without punishment after a "trial," where he was judged by his peers, I doubt he's remorseful or penitent.

If I meet his sister along the way, I'll let you know.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home