Wednesday, May 24, 2006

AAA is ok

I called AAA yesterday to order a triptik to CA, routing us through a couple of overnight stops and ending in SF. When I said the last stop was SF, the guy said, "As long as you promise not to leave your heart there."

Which made me think of other California songs. I'd had Tom Petty's "California" stuck in my head for about a week ("California's been good to me, I hope it don't fall into the sea"). Plus, the new Chili Peppers song, "Dani California." Of course, that sounds very Rick Rubin like one of their other hits, "Californication."

I searched my iTunes, and found the Gipsy Kings' "Hotel California," which was in The Big Lebowski, and is much more fun than the Eagles' version.

Gomez has a song called "California," but it's not that great.

Then I'd forgotten about R.E.M. Other than Gomez (and, maybe the Gipsy Kinds), they're the only ones not from CA. They have a cool song called "I Remember California" from Green.

Needless to say, M-N's gonna get sick of a new mix I'm building by about Connecticut. Can't wait till Nebraska. Oh, I guess we could start Nebraska with "Omaha" (Counting Crows) or the Springsteen Nebraska album, though I don't like that so much. Dar Williams has an awesome cover of "Highway Patrolman," though. If only we could get through Nebraska in the time it takes to listen to one Counting Crows song and a Dar Williams track.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rainster said...

Phantom Planet, "California." Dar Williams, "Southern California Wants to Be Western New York." Scott McKenzie, "San Francisco." The Mamas and the Papas, "California Dreamin'."

My favorite is the Phantom Planet one, except for the fact that The O.C. co-opted it.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Rainster said...

And yeah, the Dar Williams version of "Highway Patrolman" is way better than the original. Cuz she rocks.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Torgo said...

Dar Williams is good for a cover song. Her last album has a very good cover of "Everybody Knows This is Nowhere," by Neil Young, which is fantastic when Neil Young does it, too.

It also had a cover of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb," which was decent.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home