Tuesday, February 07, 2006

"Love Actually" actually has a lot of actors

We watched "Love Actually" on Saturday, but it's taken me a while to write down the names of everyone who's in it: Alan Rickman, Emma Thompson, Liam Neeson, Hugh Grant, Keira Knightley, Colin Firth, Rowan Atkinson, Billy Bob Thornton, Elisha Cuthbert, Laura Linney, Jesus, Buddha, Dick Cheney, Denise Richards, Claudia Schiffer...

Ok, I think that's about it. Then there were about 10 or 11 significant roles by actors I don't know. I've decided to pad this post with images, since there are so many to use.

This is one of those movies where Alan Rickman gets tempted by the devil, Rowan Atkinson acts silly, Colin Firth learns Portuguese, Elisha Cuthbert is just there to be hot (successfully), Keira Knightley is mostly there just to be hot (successfully), Denise Richards is just there to be hot (again), Emma Thompson actually has a full-fledged character to play (unlike many of the other actresses), Dick Cheney is a jerk, and Hugh Grant ends up on the stage at a school production (was that About a Boy, too?)

I kept thinking of "Magnolia," where there were also too many plotlines and not enough development. But while "Magnolia" was a total downer with great acting, "Love Actually" is much more chipper with some very good acting. I still have no idea how some of the characters relate, or who some of them are, but it was a good time watching them, and it is both funny and moving, particularly near the end, despite how obvious it gets.



Ok, I think I'm out of things to say about the movie, but I still have all these pictures. Here's a fun fact: In the beginning, there's a wedding scene where a band pops up out of the crowd and starts playing. This is a take-off on Jim Henson's funeral (according to imdb), where the puppeteers popped up with the Muppets, at Jim Henson's request. That's cool, but also a bit weird -- stealing an idea from a funeral...

Now I really have nothing to say. This paragraph is going to be about cookies. I love cookies. Chocolate chip, peanut butter, snickerdoodle, oatmeal raisin -- they're all good. Yep, cookies. Here are more pictures:







2 Comments:

Blogger Rainster said...

I am UNASHAMED to say that I watched this movie 3 times in a row on an international flight, because I'm in love with Colin Firth. It's so cheesy and none of the characters' attractions to each other are really explained, and Hugh Grant is NOT believable as the Prime Minister, but I still love it. I like the Colin Firth storyline best, but then again I'm biased.

You're right, Emma Thompson is the only actress who has to... act. And Keira Knightley's husband and his best bud who's in love in Keira? So gay. I kept hoping that would be the way the storyline would develop, but nooooo...

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that what you had to say about cookies was particularly daring and innovative and insightful. But don't you agree that the Chocolate Chip variety are, in fact, superior to the others? I'd like you to present a cookie hierarchy, please, and I need it on my desk by five.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home