Friday, December 08, 2006

Suzanne Vega, where are you?

Back in the late 80's, when I was all of 9 years old or so, I got incredibly passionate about a couple of songs. One was "Veronica" by Elvis Costello. The other was "My Brave Face" by Paul McCartney (actually, "Veronica" and "My Brave Face" were written by both Costello and McCartney, though I didn't know that then). "My Brave Face" was the first song I ever called in to request on a radio station.

Actually, I think it's the only one. Until my WMHB days, when I called in to shows of people I liked, but it was partially my radio station, so that doesn't count.

Then there was "Tom's Diner," the DNA remix of the Suzanne Vega song. I loved that song. She also had a hit with "Luka," but I didn't get into it then. I didn't buy the album, just the cassette single. Cassette singles were a strange invention.

Anyway, years went by, and then I got into Suzanne Vega again. "Nine Objects of Desire," out in 1996, is amazing. "Songs in Red and Gray," from 2001, is also amazing. "99.9F" is ok, not as amazing, but worthwhile.

Vega is one of the few songwriters whom I've seen legitimized as poets in anthologies (others being Tracy Chapman--always Fast Car; Lou Reed, Leonard Cohen and Dylan--though I don't think Dylan's much of a poet). But unlike those others, Vega can sing. I mean, sing melodically and gracefully.

The problem is that she doesn't release albums very often. It was 4 yrs from 99.9F to Nine Objects, then 5 yrs until Songs in Red and Gray. It's been 5 years, almost 6, since then. I'm ready for more.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rainster said...

So I learned by painful experience: never sing "Luka" at karaoke. It has a beautiful melody, but then everybody gets this horrified look on their face when they realize what you're singing about. And you have to finish the song.

Oh, and, um, I don't think you ever called into my show. Ahem.

1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised Luka is even available on for karaoke. In general, Suzanne Vega is kind of a downer karaoke artist.

I couldn't call into your show. I had, um, class when it was on. Yeah, class.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Rainster said...

Yeah, I was surprised to see it too -- it's the only song of hers I've seen in karaoke books. Unfortunately, the "Ooh, I know that song and it's in my voice range" idea doesn't always work. I'll remember that for American Idol...

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home