Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Delete December

I'd like to propose deleting December from the calendar. It's always a crazy time of the year. It's supposed to be all holidays and magic and tv specials, but I always start to feel tired right about now and then don't feel great until January.

Sure, some people would be upset. People with December birthdays (like M-N), retail managers, Santa Claus, but I think everyone could come together under the idea of getting a little rest instead of running around like mad.

What if everyone collectively took December off and went to an island somewhere? The Lost island seems big enough. Hell, I think the Harlem Globetrotters, everyone who's been in Menudo, and every underworked actor in California is on that island somewhere.

Anyway, December got off to a busy start yesterday (and yes, I realize it's only mid-November, but really, December has that kind of pull). I took the day off as a vacation day, b/c I need to use my vacation days before the end of the year, and won't otherwise. But by 'day off,' I mean 'day not physically in the office' and nothing more.

M-N was helping with her second birth, which lasted since Saturday, which meant it was me and the boy. I taught him bowling using empty water bottles and a ball. He didn't quite get the sport (particularly the scoring), but he liked seeing things get knocked over. Who doesn't?

We also went to the market to get some ground pork. While there, I signed a petition for a guy with very few teeth. I didn't think much of his lack of teeth, as the petition didn't really hinge on dental status, but it's how I remember him.

Later, we walked up to the hospital to hang out briefly with M-N. She had her own doctor's appt to go to, missing about 2 hours of the 100-hour birth she was assisting on. From our place to the hospital, there were people at streetcorners with clipboards and counters. They seemed to be tracking people who went by. I've seen this before, but have no idea what it is.

I wanted to ask someone yesterday, and there were plenty to ask. I must've passed at least 30 counters. But they're always so intently watching pedestrians that I don't want to disturb them. Other people did, and I tried to vicariously find out who they were, but I couldn't hear.

So my point is, no more December. Or, December on a tropical island for everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home