Monday, October 30, 2006

Next deep in pumpkin gizzards

We carved pumpkins last night. This is the second Halloween for the boy but, again, he didn't get to wield a knife. I learned last year that while M-N loves researching complex pumpkin designs online, she's not so much into clawing out the innards of the things.

So while she did research, I scooped. We've been taking advantage of SF's composting options, so even though we didn't toast and eat the seeds, they won't wind up in a landfill.

But for some reason, three pumpkins into the night, I had a shiny film on my scooping paw. It reminded me of when I was a kid and I'd put Elmer's glue on my hand, wait for it to dry, then peel it off like skin. I had a very normal childhood, looking back.

The film wouldn't come off, though. I washed and scrubbed my hands 4 times. So I decided it was the soul of the pumpkins. That didn't stop me from carving.

Eventually, after about 6 tries, I got the last of the film off my hand. What's the point of this story? Well, some day, possibly soon, the boy can take over disemboweling the pumpkins. I think he'll like that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Xtina said...

i did the Elmer's glue thing, too, if that helps to make you feel more normal.

i guess it probably doesn't.

4:24 AM  
Blogger Rainster said...

I used to do that with melting wax from candles. You could peel it away and sometimes get your whole fingerprint.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Torgo said...

there was a macguyver episode where he had a guy touch a glass, then he dripped wax onto it and lifted the fingerprint, then used that fingerprint to unlock a door.

that was awesome.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home