Friday, October 27, 2006

Vote Torgo

Our absentee ballots arrived this week. Even if we weren't going to be out of town on election day, I'm glad we're going absentee for our first California election. This place is nuts with things to vote on.

First, there's the governor's race. Apparently, Schwarzenegger is going to win. Yesterday, I saw a poll that had him 18 point ahead of Angelides. He's even leading in SF!! Angelides is ahead in LA, b/c of demographics, but how can he not win SF?! I'll still vote for him. (I had a good steroid-era pic of Arnold for here, but Blogger won't work right. So if you want, go google image schwarzenegger now.)

There are also ranked voting ballots for some races. This is the great instant-run-off idea that would've gotten Gore elected in 2000. You pick your first choice, second choice, third choice, and if no one wins outright, they look at the second choices. But in the race that's being run that way (I think it's assistant comptroller or chief of light bulb changing) there are only two candidates. Doesn't that defeat the purpose? How do you rank two people? If one doesn't win... it doesn't make sense.

Then, worst of all, are all the propositions. There's one about clean energy that Bill Clinton and Al Gore are doing commercials for. Also, one on some sort of smoking tax. But the ads are confusing. I assume I'll vote with Clinton/Gore, but whlie the early commerials against that prop were put out by Chevron, now they're showing every CA newspaper, firefighters, teachers, etc. But I'm not falling for that.

The smoking one's opponents have an ad with a doctor saying he's against smoking, but the smoking prop isn't really about limiting smoking. What the hell?

And I'm a member of the SF Chamber of Commerce, and they want us to vote no on everything.

What would Torgo do?

4 Comments:

Blogger Rainster said...

So I've never not voted absentee. My mother thinks this is horrible, cuz she used to drag me and my sisters to the voting booth every election day. She let me use the punch-pen once. That's the only time I've ever done that.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Torgo said...

I used to love going to the voting booth with my parents. I voted in person in Maine in 2002. That was great. Everyone was so chipper. It was also in a town with a population of about 200. And in MA in 2004. That was ok. I voted absentee in Iowa in 2000. Whoa, I'm voting in my 4th state. That's kind of noteworthy.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Rainster said...

Wow. I've only ever voted in WA.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Xtina said...

did you know one time when i was in Camden i had forgotten to get an absentee ballot, and my sister had forgotten to register, so decided without telling me that she would VOTE FOR ME??

apparently, voting procedures are not all that strict in Hyde Park. i was totally pissed.

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home