Friday, April 07, 2006

Beware the Quiltening

M-N was commissioned to make a quilt for a wedding recently. I've included a picture of it in progress. The finished project is much better, but providing a picture of that would involve taking the picture, uploading it, and then writing what I'm writing now, and I'm not sure Mr. Man's nap will last that long. (Incidentally, I'm not sure I finished that bit on Blindness, but I pieced it together over a couple of short naps. The more mobile he gets, the less writing I do.)

Anyway, as for this quilt, it turned into a massive project, making borders for all the pictures and sewing them on, then sewing those onto the quilt. This led to my first foray into quilting. Ok, I didn't do much, but I ironed quite a bit, and prior to this experience, I didn't know quilting involved ironing. I also learned how the sewing machine works after one long night attempting to hand-sew a picture onto a border. Previously, the extent of my sewing experience included sewing on buttons and, once in junior high home ec. class, breaking a sewing machine while attempting to sew the manual shut. I think I also made a tote bag for my mom in that class, but I don't remember if that was pre- or post- book sewing.

I think I'm now a certified apprentice quilter. At first, I thought this was silly, but now that I think about it, this quilt is bringing in more money than I've earned in 10 years of writing poems. M-N always seems to find the lucrative hobbies...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home