Friday, March 31, 2006

Read my Oracle

I had a poem accepted yesterday in a journal called Oracle. It's a small journal put out by a college in Georgia. I'm not sure how I found out about it. I might have seen an ad or seen a credit for them in a book I read.

It's funny, though, because I got a rejection slip from them on Tuesday, with the poems I sent (one of which had a nice sticky note on it saying she liked the poem but it was too 'risque' for them). I didn't think much about it, but then I got an acceptance email last night. I went back and looked at the poems they sent me, and the poem that was accepted wasn't sent back. This raises a good point about getting my SASE back in the mail: those are pretty much always rejections. I've found that acceptances come by email. Of my last 5 or 6 published poems, I think I was told by email for 4.

But also, of those poems, probably 4 were ones I considered weak. What that means, I'm not sure.

As for Oracle, though it's a small journal, it sounds like a big one, doesn't it? There's a business journal called Oracle, and I'm pretty sure they don't publish poetry. But saying I was published in Oracle sounds better than saying I was published in Craptastic Poetry Bi-Perennially, so I'll take it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rainster said...

Very cool. Congrats!

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!
And you're right: the name "Oracle" does have a certain panache!

7:01 AM  
Blogger Xtina said...

rock on with your bad self. poets rule.

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff, this is awesome!! Can't wait to see it in print.

Go, Jeff, go!

JK in Chicago

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home