Monday, April 03, 2006

Local International

I was in the Barnes & Noble music department the other day, and despite the fact that I used to run that section, I never quite put together this little observation:

There's a section called "International." This is where you find African artists, Latin artists, bellydance cds, etc.

There's a subsection in International for Irish and Celtic artists. At first look, that seems ok. But then, all of the other European artists, like the Beatles, are in Pop/Rock. Unless they're particularly "ethnic," like Polish folk music.

Also, some of the people in the Latin section are U.S. citizens, I think. Isn't Ricky Martin? Maybe not.

The most funny thing about this section is that it's where Native American cds are. I'm pretty sure Native Americans are from, well, here.

So, you go in the International section if you're not from the U.S., or if you're from the U.S. and "Latin." You don't go in International if you're from Europe, unless you're from Ireland. And Native Americans? Definitely International.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rainster said...

I used to wonder about that. It's whacked.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home