Friday, May 25, 2007

Movie Review: The Pursuit of Happyness

The Pursuit of Happyness: Torgo disapproves

Let me explain. It's a good movie in many ways. I've never seen Will Smith give a better performance. I didn't see Last King of Scotland, and I love Forest Whitaker in every movie I've seen him in, but Will Smith is amazing as Chris Gardner in this movie. It's a very good role for him. And his son, Jaden, plays his role very well, too.

But this movie is torture for parents of young children. It's incredibly bleak and harrowing. Worse, aside from the many anachronisms (most of which I don't think you'd spot unless you live in SF and know some things aren't from 1981), it's quite realistic. Sure, they condensed and altered Gardner's story, but I think they did so in ways that make what happened over several years happen over a believable stretch of movie-time.

This movie makes me want to:
1) Never be poor
2) Never put my child in day care
3) Never be poor

The slide into homelessness, like something Theodore Dreiser would write, is gradual and inevitable. Even though you know it's coming, even though you know he'll eventually become a millionaire, it's still brutal to watch.

When he finally gets the job that will save him and his son, it's hard not to be crying along with him.

I disapprove because I think it goes too far in emotionally decimating the audience. Maybe I'd have a different reaction if I didn't have a 2-year-old. I'm not sure if having a 2-year-old and living in SF makes a difference; it might.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home