Friday, April 20, 2007

Book Report: Fish!

Fish!: Torgo approves

I don't approve because the book is well written. It's not.

I don't approve because I learned much that I didn't know. I didn't.

But the message of this book is solid and I think it could be useful to many people I've worked with. It's a business book but, like most business books, it's a self-help book with a plot based in a work environment.

I read it on the recommendation of a colleague. It's the kind of book that some companies have everyone read. It's so short (110 small pages) and light in tone that I finished it in a little over an hour.

It irked me that the message of creating a positive, joyful workplace was filtered through so many cliched plot devices and shoddy writing. But I'll admit that I'd be more inclined to recommend it to colleagues who aren't literary snobs like me.

Also, I don't recommend reading it alongside "Crime and Punishment" and any type of poetry anthology, like I'm doing. Oh, I'm also reading a book on being a birth partner. All three of those other books make "Fish!" seem weak. But then, I did finish "Fish!" first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home