Monday, April 02, 2007

Movie Review: Pan's Labyrinth

Pan's Labyrinth: Torgo approves

It's a good movie, but I have many complaints.

First, the violence. It's gratuitous. It's excessive. It's not necessary. Two scenes stick out: the Captain beating the farmer's son with the bottle and the Captain's open face cut and then his stitching it up. Neither scene needed to be that gruesome.

Second, I wanted this movie to be more original and different from what I'd seen that it was. Guillermo del Toro improves upon the special effects and visual presentation of Hellboy, but there are too many ideas that weren't new.

The chalk-door reminded me of Beetlejuice (in fact, there were several oddly Beetlejuice-reminiscent moments). The final labyrinth scene echoed The Shining. The mandrake root was used in Harry Potter (no stranger to copping ideas). The three tasks, especially with one final trick, has been used countless times before. And, sadly, the torture scene made me think of 24, not that I want to think about 24, but that show has ruined torture scenes (not that that's a bad thing).

Third, the Captain. He's a villain with no redeeming qualities. His evil nature is explained by his father issues, but then he is incredibly cruel and wretched. He's not realistic. He's far too singular. The character could have used a hint of decency.

Ok, I had to note those things. This movie has been far too highly praised. It is good. It's a good story. It's told well.

The character of Pan is a wonderful visual success. When he's on the screen, it's fascinating to watch.

The Pale Man's story is tedious and boring--you know she's going to eat something, he's going to chase her, she's going to just escape--but I liked how his character was explained through a couple of paintings near him, while he sits motionless. The stone monster in the room may not be new, but it's great cinema.

And Ofelia, the lead, is well-played by the young actress.

One note, for those who have seen it (and if you haven't, jeez, I may have ruined quite a bit), I wish the Captain didn't shoot the doctor just then. I'd rather have the narrative tension of the doctor facing saving the baby or the mother, knowing he himself is doomed. Perhaps he'd fight to save the mother, but sacrificing the baby isn't more virtuous.

2 Comments:

Blogger CP said...

I didn't like it. I thought it was a little disappointing.

Boo.

CP.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Rainster said...

I really really liked it. You're right, it was horribly violent and disturbing. But I like the blurred reality/fantasy aspect of it (cuz really, the whole fairy thing could have been Ofelia's imagination).
And I was hoping for the same situation with the doctor....

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home