Friday, December 22, 2006

Gift Baskets: the latest in terrorism

I was on the phone yesterday in the office when the FedEx guy dropped off a package. He left it by the door, and I quickly forgot it arrived. An hour or so later, I looked over and said, "Hey, a big box, neat." (That's a direct quote.)

So I opened it. It was a gift basket from a local winery (Napa or somewhere), but it didn't have any wine. There's Ghiradelli chocolate, which is nice, plus the usual gift basket fare: crackers, heavily processed meat-like-product, mustard, wicker, plastic grass, peeps, a golden ticket, an elf, etc.

But I couldn't figure out where it came from. The mail in my building is spotty at best. I often get mail that goes to other offices or even other buildings. Last summer, I kept hearing that people sent me stuff that was getting returned to sender, address unknown (continue singing at your discretion).

Google has solved many of life's mysteries, so I googled the name on the card. No luck. Google let me down. I IM'd the director of our D.C. office, figuring maybe it was a corporate gift of some kind. But no, it wasn't.

None of this, mind you, was going to stop me from eating anything in the gift basket. Although I haven't yet. Gift baskets with mediocre food (except the chocolate) shouldn't arrive at this time of year. There's too much good food going around. It should come in some holiday wasteland, like May. What does May have? Mother's Day? That doesn't do much for me.

So an hour or two later, I go into the hallway, and see 4 other boxes outside 4 other offices. Turns out, it's from the landlord. Take that, Google.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rainster said...

Dude! That's lunch right there! Now worrying about where to eat, how much to spend, whether or not you brought the leftovers from last night. Random food showing up is awesome!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Rainster said...

Meant "no" worrying, not "now."

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home