Wednesday, April 12, 2006

LIIIIIIME!!!

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about a recipe that required kaffir limes, which are different from common American limes, I learned. I went to a couple of grocery stores, searching all over the produce departments. I didn't ever find them then.

Today, I decided that kaffir limes are my Khan, as in the fabled Star Trek character (and no, incidentally, I'm in no way a Trekkie, but I did see a bunch of the old movies, and the best one by far was the second, Wrath of Khan, where those little slug things crawled into those poor bastards' ears).

Tonight's entree is supposed to be fresh sea scallops with, you guessed it, both kaffir lime juice and kaffir lime peel shavings. The last recipe called for the leaves. I guess, like the buffalo, all parts of the mythical kaffir lime are precious.

Little Man and I went to three supermarkets, found some great scallops at Roche Bros., but not limes. In fact, it wasn't until the third store that I found red chiles, another vital ingredient. I mean, c'mon, these places can't stock an assortment of chili peppers? Shaw's used to have a great selection, but that's gone now. Only Stop and Shop had several varieties to choose from.

I've given up on the kaffir limes for now. I got a regular lime (S&S did have key limes, in addition to ordinary limes. I opted for the ordinary). It'll have to do.

Next time, I'm seeking out small Asian grocers. I don't know where any of those are, but I'll find one. There's an Indian grocery store up the street, but I think kaffir limes are primarily southeast Asian. I will find them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home