Saturday, March 18, 2006

Running commentary

I went running this morning and as I wasn't what you might specifically label "awake and fully cognitive" (e.g., I almost went face down in some pre-run cheerios), all I really thought about were these thoughts on some of the songs that popped up on my ipod running mix:

"Between You and I" - Big Wreck -- this band disappeared fast, but their one minor hit of an album is very good. Modestly intelligent aggressive rock

"One Foot Out the Door" - Van Halen -- obscure Roth-era track. The mix is all short, up tempo tunes. This song has a great rhythm and Roth sounds very pissed off -- it's weird hearing this song after hearing his radio talk show (but that could be a posting unto itself).

"I Don't Have the Map" - Idlewild -- this Scottish (?) band is apparently getting quite big in Britain. I have two of their cds, and both are great. "100 Broken Windows" is surprisingly literate and poetically clever.

"Know That" - Mos Def w/Talib Kweli -- This one opens with a great Star Wars reference. I'd quote it here but it looks silly in print. Hear the song, if you can.

"Never Named" - Soundgarden -- Chris Cornell used to be so cool. And Tom Morello was awesome in Rage Against the Machine, even though Zach de la Rocha was hard to take sometimes. How'd they get together and suck so hard? Anyway, this is a great tune off Soundgarden's final album.

"Surprise! You're Dead!" - Faith No More -- I've been running to this song since high school. Short, fast angry, and hard to understand. It's perfect.

Ok, I ran for longer than that, but I guess I blacked out during the other songs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home