Monday, March 13, 2006

Goth goes pop

Ok, not goth, more like trenchcoat mafia.

This kid came into the BN music dept. last night (as I was working one of my 17 jobs) with a black trenchcoat, black shirt and pants, and a black Metallica hat. I have trouble finding anyone in a Metallica hat to be tough, but I think he was going for that look.

I didn't think this kid was going to steal anything. It's usually not the teenagers, anyway. Although, there is this group of about 4 wannabe gangsta rich suburban white boys who hang out there sometime trying to draw attention to themselves as hardened criminals I should be wary of. Ok, sure. If you're a big time retail thief, are you going to steal from Barnes & Noble? Only if your mom won't drive you to Best Buy.

Anyway, the boy in black, I did expect he'd buy something dark and tormented. There's a recovering/not recovering addict who works/doesn't work at the store, and he listens mostly to Swedish death metal. That stuff is dark and not well translated into English. There are song title like "I Smell like Death" (that's a real one) and "Mouth Licking What You've Bled" (also real).

Anyway, the boy in black, he comes to the register and buys "That Thing You Do" on dvd, the Tom Hanks pop boy band movie.

It turns out, instead of spending his night plotting the deaths of his enemies, he works the overnight shift at Kohl's, restocking shelves.

1 Comments:

Blogger Xtina said...

well, "that thing you do!" is a pretty catchy single. and anything with ethan embry is worth watching. twice.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home