Saturday, August 11, 2007

Torgo meets Google

My job involves talking to people who call and want help for their kids. Is that vague enough? Anyway, we have caller id. Google has a reverse phone book feature that enables me to sometimes look up a person's name and address by their phone number. I find this creepy, so I don't do it much.

In doing it the other day (and I usually do it to confirm spelling of a name, as I often speak with people who either struggle with English or call me from their cell phones -- I won't support legislation making English the official language, but I'd support legislation making cell phones illegal to use while driving, walking on the sidewalk, in elevators, on the subway, in restaurants, at baseball games, in parking lots, really anywhere where I have to listen to people's conversations or where people can make a huge safety hazard b/c they get so wrapped up in their stupid conversation that they forget they're crossing the street) ok, where was I? Oh yeah, Google.

I ended up at Veromi. It's a people search site but an especially creepy one. I typed in my name and found myself, my parents, siblings, wife, 6 of the 12 or so places I've lived, all for free.

Granted, Torgo is a rare name and when my colleague searched his name, 100 people who aren't him came up.

But still, I don't like the site.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that site is very creepy. I thought I'd give it a try, but I didn't get any farther than my last name. In some weird way, giving them my birth date seemed like giving too much information to the information people.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Rainster said...

Ditto that I find it scary. But I'd be interested where they get their info, because I noticed that a few errors involving the spelling of my name are the same ones some credit card companies make when they send me all that junk mail (a "u" instead of an "a"). It's also not very up-to-date (my sister's name change or new city, for instance, for almost 2 years). Maybe if you pay the $14.99 to stalk someone, you get more accurate data? Ick.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home