Sunday, July 22, 2007

Movie Review: Higher Learning

Higher Learning: Torgo approves

I wish I'd watched this movie when it came out in 1995. Aside from getting the chance to see a bunch of actors I'd like later in their careers, like Omar Epps and Michael Rapaport, a bunch of people I generally enjoy, like Ice Cube and Busta Rhymes, and then just some pretty people, like Tyra Banks and Jennifer Connelly, it's like watching what happens at most colleges around the country (including mine) but in exaggerated, cartoonish tones.

There are loads of problems with the movie. The biggest is how it begins with important portrayals of institutional racism and the danger of date rape, then takes everything much too far.

Michael Rapaport is an outsider, a loner with dangerous tendencies, but his becoming a murderous neo-Nazi feels trite.

Jennifer Connelly is the wise, lesbian women's group leader. Ok, that's fine. But her blind pursuit of Kristy Swanson (and her simultaneous pursual of random sensitive white guy) feels a little degrading.

If you put that aside, it's a good movie.

There are some sickly funny scenes. These usually involve Ice Cube, who just looks to be having a good time. Also, most of the neo-Nazis are played by Jewish actors. That can't be coincidental, and it adds an interesting depth to their portrayals of white supremacists.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rainster said...

Was this the one with a shooting spree on a quad? I think I've seen scenes from it --as in, I think I accidentally interrupted a screening of it in the SOBHU room once, because I wanted to play Snood. If it's the same movie...

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home