Friday, September 22, 2006

Torgo vs. Quizno

I have an expense account. That's something new to me. Part of my budget includes an allowance for meals. I never seem to use all of this up, but every once in a while I take myself out to lunch. I've slowly been exploring the neighborhood eateries. There are some good local places, including a Boudin Bakery (which I guess is a big, SF-based deal) that right next to my office. I still like Chipotle burritos better than the local taquerias near me -- happily, I read that McDonald's is divesting its partial interest in Chiptole, and they'll soon be self-owned.

Anyway, today I went to Quizno's. I'm not sure why. I was at an office supply store, saw it across the street, and was pulled in by the promise of pastrami. What strikes me as odd about Quizno's is that they have a condiment bar that only has three things: hot peppers, hot peppers, and pickles. I don't get that. I didn't get some hot peppers and pickles, and I was happy to be able to add them myself (though I was less enthused when thinking about who else had their grubby hands in the vats, just sitting out there, approaching a state of festering).

A couple of weeks ago, I went to a local Chinese buffet that charges by the pound. Here's a tip: don't eat at a buffet that charges by the pound. Also, they gave out free soup. I'd read something about that online when looking it up. I was smart enough to avoid the soup. Not smart enough to avoid the buffet.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rainster said...

What's wrong with free soup? There's a Thai place I like that gives free hot and sour soup.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Torgo said...

I can't speak for free soups everywhere and I shouldn't really judge this free soup as I didn't try it.

M-N's always been hesitant about (or, vehemently opposed to) buffets or any food that's self-serve (like the deli bar at schools where we worked and the filthy teenagers--that's no stereotype, these were filthy teenagers). I think she's had an impact on me. I still love the DIY aspect of it, as I basically like to pile my plate to 'near-collapse,' but I'm slightly more cautious about funky food.

I'd think Rainster would be buffet-phobic as well, or at least be straightening the tongs as she moves down the line.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Rainster said...

The signs, too, the ones with the names of the food. Sometimes they get knocked around and aren't parallel to the edge.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home