Thursday, August 17, 2006

How to get over a cold in 700 easy pages

This isn't a week I can take a sick day. Instead, I have to work longer than usual hours, including running a training last night that didn't get me home until 11. Then I have to run more trainings both Saturday and Sunday.

But I have an easy way to avoid drowning in misery and self-pity. Reading "The Naked and the Dead," by Norman Mailer. Every once in a while, I read a war novel -- something by Hemingway, maybe, something long, detailed, and depressing.

Nothing makes my little cold and long work days seem less of a bother than reading about soldiers on an island in the Pacific toiling, fighting, arguing, and getting blown up. In fact, the cold seems mostly gone, and it's only been a couple of days. The war, though, still has about 500 pages...

4 Comments:

Blogger Rainster said...

So at the conference last weekend, I went to a Train-the-Trainers workshop. It was really good. The "sharing" that annoyed me in the Immigrant Rights workshop was actually good in this one, because everyone was talking about what worked and what didn't for them as trainers and what didn't.

Except for the icebreaker stuff. I'm not really a fan of icebreakers.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Rainster said...

...Unless you wanted to do an icebreaker about "what you're reading now." Then that could just give you an excuse to do a book report, and your captive audience would be forced to pay attention.

1:05 AM  
Blogger Torgo said...

I hate icebreakers. Always have. Now I make others do them. It might be an abuse of power.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Rainster said...

One icebreaker we did in a session I co-led was "balloon and baggage," where you say one good thing (your balloon) and one bad thing (your baggage) about your day. It's supposed to let you know where everyone's at so you can all support each other or whatever. So I went second, and said that my balloon was getting a chance to meet all the activists from around the state, but that my baggage was that it was a sunny Saturday, I had to wake up earlier that I normally would on a weekday, and that I was trapped inside. That was back in my brutal-honesty-is-the-best-policy-in-all-things phase. Now I know I should lie sometimes.

So if I were a fruit, I would be a crab apple.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home