Sunday, June 24, 2007

And then there were two

I know this blog has mostly become book and movie reviews as of late, but, well, we have kids, as in plural, as in, if we had one more, they'd outnumber us.

Fortunately, they're pretty good kids. But there have been a couple of times when they're both crying and it's just me or just M-N. This is the most difficult moment in parenting I've ever faced.

We had a friend in MA who said if the baby just won't stop crying but is perfectly fine, put him somewhere safe, like his carseat or crib, close the door, and go sit on the porch with a beer.

Another friend said that when her oldest gave her hell, she'd put him in the bath and sit there with a glass of wine. She'd do this up to three times a day.

One of my MFA teachers told me his wife's doctor recommended, when she was nursing and had a fussy baby, to drink beer.

So we're celebrating the fact that M-N isn't pregnant anymore with alcohol. Not a lot, really, just a glass of wine here, a beer there. I've never appreciated alcohol more than with two under two.

That sounds bad. It's not really that bad. Beer just tastes much better.

I've never been much of a beer drinker. I like Corona and other beers that are kind of watery. There's a supermarket by our apt. with a huge selection of domestic and foreign beers. As in, one whole aisle of each. So I decided to branch out and get another Mexican beer, since I like Corona. So far, so good.

M-N, meanwhile, likes her wine. She's careful about timing it and limiting herself and all that medical advice junk, but honestly, a little wine never hurt anyone and she went 100% dry (and decaf) for the pregnancy, even though doctors say that isn't necessary.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rainster said...

So, in my younger years, I wasn't the biggest fan of wine or beer. They're both acquired tastes, and besides, I wanted the hard stuff. But recently, I've grown to appreciate the variety in both.

Will pass on this post-natal alcohol tip to my sis and bro-in-law....

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beer helps milk production, but it has to be the mother who drinks it.
Hang in there...

8:21 AM  
Blogger Torgo said...

Two people just pointed out to us that Trader Joe's sells drinkable wine dirt cheap.

And I was recommended Dos Equis amber as another Mexican beer.

These are good times.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Rainster said...

I've actually gotten bad wine at Trader Joe's on several occasions. As in, I bought it for parties at other people's houses, they opened it in public eventually, and then everyone who tried it immediately said "Ew, it's gone bad, this is gross" and I've had to slink off and pretend I wasn't the one that brought the $4 TJ wine to a party and saved the $11 imported wine for my own dinner parties...

Are microbrews big in San Fran? Cuz there are some good ones in the Pacific Northwest, and they're also fairly inexpensive.

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home