Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Superfluous American Idol Post

Time is running out. The age limit for American Idol contestants is 28. That means I'm still within the age range of potential pop icons, but not for long.

I was a fan of Paula Abdul in the Laker Girl turned Forever Your Girl days. The video with Keanu Reeves was the beginning of the end for me, and apparently it was for her, too. That sad, drunken video of her last week (which is too depressing to link here) just made me feel sorry for her.

Randy Jackson is odd. He seems to have almost no talent, but he's worked with people with talent, like Mariah Carey. He played bass for Journey, but wasn't in Journey. Hell, I could play bass for Journey.

And the other guy is really just a wretched human being.

I watched about 10 minutes of that show last night. It's just painful. There was a time when it was funny to watch the bad singers. But by now, it feels wrong. First, to get on the show, you go through screeners. So the embarassing people were screened by producers who said, "This person can make an idiot of himself on tv." Then, at least last night, they just drag out the footage of the shattered wannabe crying. That's not funny.

To win on the show, you apparently need to have a great but bland voice. You need to be versatile enough to sing anything ranging from Billy Joel to Elton John. You don't want to have too much style. Someone like Mariah Carey would never make it. I don't think she'd handle Burt Bacharach songs well.

But anyway, I have just one more year to make the show. Time to start training. Or get a silly costume.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rainster said...

So I get to be a judge at a local nonprofit's "Karaoke Idol" contest, and I've been joking that I'll be the Paula Abdul. Because she never really has anything bad to say to the contestants and doesn't want to hurt their feelings.

I actually like Simon Cowell! He's just brutally honest (emphasis on the brutal). He's only saying what everyone's secretly thinking anyway. Like "What the hell was that?" His criticism seems to get more constructive with each final round.

Speaking of Journey, the best karaoke song ever is their "Don't Stop Believing." Tied only with Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart."

4:55 PM  
Blogger Xtina said...

i thought taylor hicks was 29? or 52 masquerading as 29? anyway, if it's 28 i missed my last chance.

i kind of liked the cowardly lion girl.

and simon was cracking me up with that "rocker" dude he made sing abba. "i actually like you."

rainster, if you're paula, all you have to do is loll your head around and slur your words.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home