Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Pictures from Day Six

Here are some pictures, as promised, from Day Six. The first one is the truck. I spent probably too much of the trip waiting for the truck to break down. My friend Ray took a similar trip by rental truck from MA to Oregon last fall, and his truck broke down somewhere in the Rockies. Then they had to unload everything from that truck and load it onto a new one. That would've taken us a day. But ours held up. The other expectation I had was that we'd blow a tire. The interstate is littered with blown tires. Particularly in the west. We must've passed hundreds upon hundreds of them. But no, we were ok. I even checked the tire pressure in Rock Springs at the Kum & Go.

Next up is the Great Salt Lake. It was ok. We stopped here mostly to regroup after descending a mountain into Salt Lake City and then getting through that city, which was unpleasant. We didn't end up having any encounters with Mormons. Or Bill Paxton. It would've been cool to meet Bill Paxton. He was good in "A Simple Plan."

Last up is a desert. Those mountains in the distance stayed in the distance for a long time. But that's ok. The desert was easy driving. Flat and straight. I followed that semi for about 60 or 70 miles, maybe more.

Yeah, these aren't all scintillating stories. Did I tell my Duel story yet? I don't think so. There was a truck on Day Five that kept passing us then slowing down, then we'd pass it, then he'd speed up and pass us again. This kept happening for a few hours. He didn't try to kill us like the truck in Duel, but maybe if I'd been Dennis Weaver, he would have. Ok, yeah, they aren't all great stories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home